Preparing For Your Course - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Preparing For Your Course

Search for:

Preparing For Your Course


New Students

Preparing For Your Course

Preparing For Your Course

This page functions had useful links to all the important information you’ll need ahead of starting in September. Please do read and follow all appropriate pages as listed below.

Important dates and documents

Enrolment, Induction and Freshers/Student Union activities start on Monday 24 September 2018, with the Autumn term beginning on Monday 1 October 2018. Please ensure you are able to attend events across this entire period, as there will not be any repeat sessions if you miss any induction activities. Further details about Enrolment and Induction Week will be emailed out in our Enrolment Pack in early September.

22 June: Accommodation Application Due

2018/9 Accommodation Application Form

29 June: Tuition Fee Special Arrangement Form Due (Optional – self-funders only)

Via the How to Pay Fees page

24 June onward: Student Visa Applications (International Students only)

You cannot apply for a student visa before 25 June (3 months prior to your start date of 24 September) as your visa will be refused. As such, we will not issue CAS’s until mid-June at the earliest. We will also only issue your CAS once your offer is considered Unconditional.

Further details about applying for a student visa

For general guidance on student immigration, please go to                

31 August: Qualification(s) and English Language Exam Results Due

Degree and Qualification Results

If your offer is conditional, we require proof of your qualification(s). Please email a copy of an original final, official transcript to

Please retain your original transcript to bring to Enrolment. Please note that if you have already supplied an electronic copy of your transcript, you will still need to bring the original transcript to Enrolment.                                         

This does not apply to students who are currently taking A or AS levels.          

English Exam Results – We cannot issue you a CAS in support of a visa application if have not provided proof of passing your English Language Proficiency exam. Although you have until 31 August to supply your English Language Proficiency exam results, we would advise that you take the exam sooner so your visa application is not delayed.

10 September: University of London Intercollegiate Halls waiting list

10 September is the deadline for applications to the University of London Intercollegiate Halls waiting list should you still require accommodation after our initial allocation of accommodation.

Mon 24 September

  • International Students – All students subject to immigration control (including Study Abroad and returning students) must have their visas checked prior to enrolment. Further information regarding this will be available at the start of September.

Tue 25 September

  • BA History of Art, Year 1
  • Courtauld Graduate Diploma in the History of Art
  • MA History of Art
  • MA Curating the Art Museum
  • Postgraduate Diploma in the Conservation of Easel Paintings
  • MA in Conservation of Wall Painting
  • MA in Buddhist Art
  • PhD (new incoming only)

Wed 26 September

  • BA History of Art, Years 2 and 3
  • PhD, Years 2, 3 and Writing Up

The full schedule is available here.

Reading Lists can be found on The Courtauld’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE):     


This will be the only accessible page on the VLE until you have enrolled.

Reading lists for the various programmes and options we offer will be made available as they are approved by programme/option tutors. If the reading list for your programme/option does is not available by mid-June you may wish to contact your tutor directly.

As a student you will be entitled to access many discounts and benefits; however you must be enrolled first. As such, you will need to wait until after you are enrolled to receive any student status letters for libraries, banks or Council Tax exemption.


At the beginning of September you will be emailed an invoice for your tuition fees. You may contact our Finance Office to pay your tuition fees in advance of enrolment, though no payment is expected until your enrolment date. Information on how to pay fees can be found here.

If you are self-funding and wish to pay your fees in two instalments, you should fill out the Tuition Fee Special Arrangement Application and return it to our Finance Office along with a covering letter stating your reasons for the request. If you will be financing your studies through a student loan which you expect to receive in instalments, you will NOT need to fill out this form; you should simply present proof that you will be in receipt of a student loan at the time you enrol for your course.

Student Life

Students who have firmly accepted an offer for a course at least one academic year in duration are invited to complete an application form for the accommodation we offer. We also provide information on a range of external providers.

Student Accommodation

The Courtauld is located in historic Somerset House on The Strand, right in the heart of London’s West End. One of the world’s most dynamic cities, London is a global hub for cultural, business, political, media, legal and sporting events that attract the best from around the world. This central location gives students easy access to some of the city’s best-known museums and galleries, including the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the British Museum (not to mention The Courtauld’s own gallery).

Living in London

Our students benefit from the best of both worlds – a close and intimate community within The Courtauld and the chance to engage and be a part of the larger University of London federation. The Courtauld Students’ Union represents the interests of all students and provides a base for social activity with a variety of activities, societies, outings and parties. Current societies include: Literature Society, Film Society, Theatre Society, Sports Society, Conservation Society, Law Society and many more.

Students’ Union

The Courtauld is able to offer you help and advice in a number of ways.  Most immediately this would be through your Personal Tutor, but you may also seek help, of various kinds, through The Courtauld’s Student and Staff Services Office, Academic and Learning Support, Gower Street Medical Practice, Counselling Service and the Students’ Union.

Student Support

International Students

The Courtauld Institute of Art has a long tradition of welcoming students from all over the globe. We provide a world-class teaching whilst based in the heart of London, a truly international city, and The Courtauld’s graduates continue on to fill prestigious positions around the world as art historians, curators, journalists, art dealers and heads of major museums and galleries.

International students

Your status as a Home, EU or Overseas student is typically determined by residency.

Fee Status – Home, EU or Overseas?

Generally speaking, if you are normally resident outside of the UK/EU, and you do not hold UK/EU citizenship you will require a Tier 4 Student visa in order to enter the UK as a student. You will need to have made an application for a visa and be granted entry clearance as a student before travelling to the UK.

Visas and Immigration

As an international student it is important that you take the time to consider how you will access health care whilst in the UK. Access will be different depending on the length of your programme, your status as a Home, EU/EEA or Overseas student and whether or not you require a visa.

Healthcare for International Students

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close