Healthcare for International Students

As an international student it is important that you take the time to consider how you will access health care whilst in the UK.

As it is likely that healthcare is accessed differently in the UK than your home country, and that the right to access it may require action on your part, it is important that you determine how you will be covered before arriving – failure to do so may result in you being liable for any NHS (National Health Service) services that you use.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website provides detailed information on healthcare in the UK and how it can be accessed.

EU/EEA/Swiss Students who arrived in the UK before 31 December 2020

EU/EEA/Swiss students who arrived before 31 December 2020 on a course lasting six months or longer and participated in the EU Settlement Scheme confirms your right to live, work, study and full use of the National Health Service (NHS) after 31 December 2020.

After 31 December 2020, online proof that you signed up for the EU Settlement Scheme provides your right to use the NHS.

You will also be able to register with a GP as a permanent patient.

Students requiring a visa to study in the UK

As part of your Student Visa you be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you full use of the National Health Service (NHS).

Visit the UK Government website for more information on the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Students studying for 6 months or less (Study Abroad etc.)

If your study in the UK will last six months or less and requires a short-term study visa – for example, if you are on a single/two term Study Abroad programme – you will need to obtain private medical insurance.

The Courtauld does not recommend any specific insurance companies – you may want to look at the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website for suggestions.