Victorian Jamaica: Roundtable
The Courtauld Institute of Art, Vernon Square, Penton Rise, Kings Cross, London
Friday 11 January 2019
PLEASE NOTE: This Date Has Passed
5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Research Forum Seminar Room, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Vernon Square, Penton Rise, Kings Cross, London , WC1X 9EW
- Tim Barringer - Paul Mellon Professor in the History of Art, Yale
- Wayne Modest - Head of the Research Center for Material Culture, Netherlands
- Catherine Hall - UCL
- Rivke Jaffe - University of Amsterdam
- Petrina Dacres - Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, Kingston
- Dr Esther Chadwick - The Courtauld Institute of Art
- Prof David Peters Corbett - Director, Centre for American Art, The Courtauld Institute of Art
Victorian Jamaica (Duke University Press, 2018) marks a pivotal moment in the study of nineteenth-century Jamaican society through an extraordinary archive of visual and material culture.
This panel discussion, chaired by the volume’s co-editors, Tim Barringer (Paul Mellon Professor in the History of Art, Yale) and Wayne Modest (Head of the Research Center for Material Culture, Netherlands), with Catherine Hall (UCL) and Rivke Jaffe (University of Amsterdam), introduces London audiences to its key themes.
Please join us at the Courtauld’s new venue, Vernon Square, to celebrate the publication of this groundbreaking new book.
The talks will followed by a drinks reception.