Student Support - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Student Support

Search for:

Student Support



Student Support

The Courtauld is able to offer you help and advice in a number of ways.  Most immediately this would be through your Personal Tutor, but you may also seek help, of various kinds, through The Courtauld’s Student and Staff Services Office, Academic and Learning Support, Gower Street Medical Practice, Counselling Service and the Students’ Union.

Student Services Office

The Student and Staff Services team provides a range of support services focused on improving the overall student experience. 

Student Services can offer a range of advice and support for current students. This includes: Student Well Being, Fees and Scholarships, Examinations, Graduation and more.

Their office is based on the Mezzanine floor of the East Wing and is open Monday to Friday, between 9.30am and 5.30pm. They can also be contacted by email ( or phone 020 3947 7668.

Staff are also available to help with a wide range of general enquiries regarding the courses offered by The Courtauld, as well as providing official transcripts of results, status letters, council tax exemption certificates and letters of introduction to banks, libraries and archives.

In conjunction with Academic Registry colleagues, they provide advice about the academic, learning and welfare support services, accommodation, health issues, immigration matters, financial support and careers that are on offer for students at the Institute.

The Student Services centre is where you will hand-in your essays during the course of the academic year and also the collection point for your essay feedback once marked.

Academic and Learning Support

Royal Literary Fund Fellows

At The Courtauld we have two Royal Literary Fund Fellows (RLF) who can help you to improve your academic writing skills, reading strategies and organisation of material. If you would like to improve your style, clarity or argument, if you need help with structure, tone, or simply getting to grips with the writing process, you are welcome to get in touch with them.

Both RLF Fellows are professional writers and offer support to Courtauld students thanks to the Royal Literary Fund’s Fellowship Scheme. The RLF website has a very useful guide to writing essays..

Academic Support Tutor

At The Courtauld, we also have an Academic and Support Tutor who can help you if you are experiencing difficulties that impact on your academic work, including students with learning difficulties (SpLDs). They provide writing support through one to-one meetings, and can offer you support if you have weaker writing skills, have fallen behind with your work, or need to improve your study and time-management skills. They can also help you build confidence for and presentations or gallery talks you may give.  

Academic Skills Tutor

At The Courtauld, we also have an Academic Skills Tutor. They can offer you advice on skills specific to Art History, including research, visual analysis and presentation. They can also help you to understand essay feedback, and develop revision strategies.


Welfare Services

Personal Tutor

Your Personal Tutor should be your first point of call if you have any questions or problems whilst you are at The Courtauld. Your Personal Tutor will want to see you at the beginning of each term, and will be happy to offer help and advice at other times, either during their office hours or by appointment. They will also help advise you about which courses to take, and will review your progress with you. If you do not feel you can talk to your personal tutor, then you may approach the Associate Dean for Student Affairs.

Associate Dean for Student Affairs

The Associate Dean for Students has oversight over the many different sources of support available to students: some of these can help you with your academic work, others guide you with your career development, others provide support in case of illness or personal problems. In some cases I can also supplement the advice and support provided by those listed below, and am available for meetings by appointment: my office is Study Room 16 in the West Wing (the same wing as the gallery, but entered from the door facing the main Somerset House courtyard). Please feel free to contact me if you would like to meet:


At times you may experience difficulties and emotional stress caused by loss, a breakdown of a relationship or other disruptive life events. This may affect your wellbeing and day to day life. 

To support with this, The Courtauld has three dedicated counsellors. They will listen and help you to understand how to work through any issues you might be facing.

Making an Appointment

Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You can make an appointment by emailing:


There is also a Chaplaincy service available at The Courtauld via an arrangement with King’s College London.  Courtauld students can use their Chaplaincy at their Strand campus. The King’s College Chaplaincy has a wealth of experience in supporting people through relationship, work and study difficulties, as well as spiritual and vocational issues. Open to any student regardless of their religious affiliation or lack of religious affiliation.


The Reverend: Tim Ditchfield

College Chaplain, The Chaplaincy, King’s College London, K2.34, Strand Campus, Strand, London, WC2R 2LS

Medical Support

Gower Street Practice offers a full range of GP services, including a travel clinic, lifestyle clinics and counselling facilities. Services are available to students and spouses and children of students, although there are some restrictions for those living outside London. Please register as soon as possible with the Centre or with a local GP. It is wise to register as a provision at the start of your course so that you will not have to register during illness.

If you need to be seen urgently, you may telephone the practice or call in person. There is always a doctor or nurse available to see, treat or advise you.

The Health Centre
20 Gower Street
Tel.: 020 7636 7628
Open 9:00am-5:30pm, Monday to Friday

The practice also has non-medical counsellors and offers a range of counselling and therapy services to all full and part-time students. If you think that you may need help with examination stress, please go early as it may be difficult to get an appointment with a therapist at short notice near the exam period.

In addition, the University of London Union (ULU) runs a Nightline talk and telephone information service as well as welfare and advice sessions at its building in Malet Street. ULU also has a gym, fitness classes and indoor swimming pool.

Disabled Students

The Courtauld welcomes applications from disabled students, who are considered on the same academic criteria as all others. There is, however, special consideration in our assessment system for disabled students according to individual needs. The Courtauld will take all reasonable steps to make adjustments and provide necessary facilities to enable any disabled student to attend a course for which they have been accepted on academic grounds.

Read more about our equal opportunities commitment to supporting study for students with disabilities.

The Courtauld offers a referral service to our partner organisations to support students with a range of disabilities. Whilst at the Courtauld your support, such as extra time in exams or extended borrowing rights in the library and any referrals will be organised by the Records and Assessment Officers. The Records and Assessment team also process applications for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

If you have a disability, your disability changes, or you wish to apply for DSA you should make the Records and Assessment team ( aware as soon as possible.

Hardship Fund

The Courtauld Hardship Fund provides short-term emergency funds to meet the immediate financial needs of students registered at The Courtauld Institute of Art. It is intended to provide support for short-term urgent needs, such as living costs and rent and cannot be used in payment of tuition fees. Undergraduate students who require regular long-term funding are advised to consider applying for a Courtauld Bursary.

You do not have to repay Hardship funds.

For full information on eligibility criteria and assessment, please contact

Career Support

One-to-one guidance appointments

All Courtauld students have access to careers and employability guidance, provided by a dedicated careers consultant on site. Whatever stage you’re at, the support is there from your first term right through to graduation and beyond.

You can book confidential, impartial one-to-one sessions with your Careers Consultant, all year round. Individual 20-minute consultations sessions run every Thursday and Friday. You can book these in advance via an online booking system on the VLE.

You can also contact the Careers Consultant at any time via email:

There are also several careers and employability events which are run throughout term time, for students to learn about different industries, key skills and networking.


Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close