Thesis title: Harlem and Britain: British artists’ engagement with the New Negro movement, 1919 – 1939.
Supervisors: Professor Dorothy Price and Dr Elena Crippa (Tate)
Funded by: AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnership
My research explores the cross-cultural exchanges between Harlem Renaissance and British artists, writers and activists in inter-war London. Anchored in Tate collection works and drawing on material in key archives, contemporary newspapers and participants’ autobiographies, the project will trace the conversations, travels and connections between the figures from this time to re-examine the work through a new lens to reclaim the role of Black practitioners in the history of British modernism.
Ph.D. student, The Courtauld Institute of Art, 2021 – present
M.A. Twentieth Century Art History, Goldsmiths College, University of London, 2004
Postgraduate Diploma, Arts Management, Birkbeck College, University of London, 2003
B.A. (joint Hons), History & Theory of Art and English Language, University of Kent, 2000
Publications and conference papers
Summer, Tate Publishing, 2020
‘A Phantom of the Road’ in Jacobi, C. (ed.) Van Gogh and Britain. London: Tate Publishing, 2019
Catalogue essay tracing the reception and interpretation of Van Gogh on Britain and British artists between 1937 – 1957.
Tate Introductions: Van Gogh. London: Tate Publishing, 2019
‘Contemporary Sensibilities’ in Crippa, E. ‘All Too Human’. London: Tate Publishing, 2018
Catalogue entries in Elliott, D. Art From Elsewhere: International Contemporary Art From UK Galleries. London: Hayward Publishing, 2014
‘Conception, Reception’, March 2005
AAH Conference 2005, University of Bristol.
‘Site and Translation in the Age of Squanto.’ Paper interrogating the increasing mobility of site-specific works.
- Curator, Festival UK 2022, with Tate National Partnerships the European Space Agency and Holition, 2020-21
- Curator (mat cover), Tate Britain 2019-20
- Assistant Curator, Tate Britain, 2017-19
- Exhibition Organiser, Barbican Art Gallery, 2017
- Assistant Curator, Hayward Touring, 2010-16
- Assistant Gallery Manager, Serpentine Gallery, 2009-10
- Assistant to the Art Installation Manager, Tate Britain, 2007-09
- Gallery Co-ordinator, Cadogan Contemporary, 2006-07
- Curatorial intern, Prints & Drawings, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2002
- Exhibitions intern, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, 2001