The Courtauld Institute of Art is committed to its strategic mission to advance the understanding of the visual arts of past and present across the world, through advanced research, innovative teaching, inspiring exhibitions and programmes, and the stewardship of our collections.
In support of this and of its charitable aims, The Courtauld seeks to maintain relationships with a wide group of supporters, potential supporters and those who support our mission. This includes our alumni, our members (Friends and Patrons), our donors and potential donors, those who support our academic programmes and exhibitions, those who volunteer in support of our institution, those who hire our facilities and representatives of the corporate clients who take advantage of our corporate sponsorship and corporate membership opportunities.
We regard you amongst our closest friends and associates and we take your data privacy very seriously. Please read this privacy notice and address any queries or concerns to DPO@courtauld.ac.uk
The information we hold about you
In the course of establishing and maintaining a relationship with you as a supporter or potential supporter of The Courtauld we will gather certain personal data about you. We will only collect information that is necessary to maintain the relationships we have with you, to fulfil our obligations to you and to keep you informed about The Courtauld, its activities and the varied opportunities to support us in achieving our charitable aims and strategic mission.
The personal information we collect about you may include:
- Your name, title, gender and date of birth
- Your email address, phone number, postal address and preferred contact details
- Your family, spouse/partner details and relationships to other Courtauld staff, students and supporters
- Your educational and professional activities, including, in the case of current students and alumni, information about your time at The Courtauld
- Your current and former business activities
- Your publicly acknowledged professional achievements, academic awards, prizes and honours
- Your publicly available websites and social media profiles
- Your current interests and contact preferences
- Your known philanthropic interests
- Video/audio recordings or photographs of you available in the public domain or directly provided by you
- Interview transcripts or written materials provided by you
And, as applicable, specific information concerning:
- Your use of our alumni services and benefits
- Your Friend or Patron membership details, including joint or additional members and gift membership recipient details and your use of our membership services and benefits
- Your donation details, including your stewardship and acknowledgement preferences and details of all promised donations (pledges) or intentions to leave a legacy to The Courtauld in your will
- Your gifts-in-kind to The Courtauld
- Your exhibition support, including loans of works of art or other artefacts
- Your volunteering activities in support of The Courtauld
- Your agreements to hire our facilities
- The corporate donors or clients you represent and the donations they have made or services to which they have subscribed
- Your registration for and attendance at Courtauld events, including details of any guests accompanying you
- Your use of other Courtauld facilities and services, such as visits to our Gallery, café or shop, or registration for Short Courses and lecture series
- Your potential to support The Courtauld in the future
- Our assessment of any ethical or other considerations around accepting gifts and sponsorship from you
We also keep full records of:
- All donations, fees, sponsorship, venue hire and other payments made by any available payment method including cash, cheque, credit card and bank transfer (all payments are processed according to PCI compliance and no credit card details are ever stored by us)
- Donations made by our supporters in the USA to The American Foundation for The Courtauld Institute of Art
- Your Gift Aid declarations and tax payer status (in compliance with HMRC regulations)
- Your Direct Debit instructions (in compliance with the rules of the Direct Debit scheme)
- Communications sent to or received from you and/or face to face meetings with you
In most cases, we collect this information directly from you through your interactions with us in person, by phone or online, or gathered from your written enquiries, correspondence, application forms, membership forms, donation forms, booking forms, responses to event invitations and surveys.
In some cases, we collect this information from third parties acting as agents or data processors on our behalf, for example where we use third party services to process new and renewing memberships online or to accept donations and payments online. These arrangements are always governed by data sharing agreements, see Section 3 Sharing your details with other parties.
In some cases, we collect this information from other parts of The Courtauld who have a relationship with you, for example regarding your visits to The Courtauld Gallery, café and shop, or your attendance on a short course or at a lecture.
Occasionally, in the interests of our own research and to determine your potential to support The Courtauld in the future, we gather information that is publicly available about you, for example through your public websites, public social media profiles and published information about you.
Very occasionally we gather information from other third parties about you. Typically, these third parties provide services which help us to further identify your potential to support The Courtauld. They may help us to analyse the information we hold about you and make use of other information available from accessible records, internet-based resources or other public information or directories to classify your wealth, philanthropic interests and ethical/reputational risk profile. These arrangements are always governed by data sharing agreements, see Section 3 Sharing your details with other parties.
How we use your data
The Courtauld will only process your information if we have a legal basis for doing so under current UK data protection legislation. These include:
Processing your information because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, for example:
- To provide members of our Friends and Patrons membership schemes with the benefits which you are contractually entitled to receive;
- To fulfil the terms of a formal gift agreement;
- To provide goods and/or services that you have ordered from us.
Where we are required by law to process your information, for example:
- To claim Gift Aid on your donations;
- To comply with any applicable Government guidance around monitoring visitor access to Courtauld premises, for example compliance with NHS Test and Trace.
Where we have your consent to process your information, for example:
- Where you have requested to receive email updates, publications or further information from us in relation to Courtauld activities.
Where processing your information is necessary for our legitimate interests, for example:
- To maintain an up to date record of our alumni;
- To provide you with stewardship information and events in recognition of your support;
- To combine information we hold about you so that we can personalise the communications we send to you in line with the information contained in this privacy notice;
- To conduct analysis and research in relation to our supporters and potential supporters.
The purposes for which we will process your personal information include:
- To provide you with the goods, services and benefits you have purchased or are entitled to, or which you have requested from us
- To provide you with information that you have requested from us
- To service you as a member of our alumni community
- To administer and acknowledge your membership of our Friends and Patrons membership schemes
- To administer and acknowledge your volunteer activity
- To administer and acknowledge your exhibition support
- To set up and service your commercial hire agreements
- To set up and service your corporate sponsorship or corporate membership arrangements
- To process and acknowledge your donations and payments
- To remind you of upcoming payment or renewal dates
- To claim Gift Aid on your eligible donations
- To ensure that your actual and potential donations, payments and gifts in kind satisfy our ethical policies and other guidance around the acceptance of gifts and sponsorship
- To provide you with up to date information about the activities of The Courtauld
- To offer you services and facilities available at The Courtauld
- To promote our charitable aims and to invite you to support The Courtauld through fundraising campaigns and appeals, or by joining as a member, supporting an exhibition or academic programme, volunteering, taking up our corporate sponsorship or corporate membership opportunities or using commercial services.
- To maintain our various relationships with you through face to face meetings, personal correspondence and group communications
- To invite you and your guests to Courtauld events and to manage attendance at events
- To gather feedback and seek your opinions
- To keep our records up to date
- To operate and manage our alumni services, Friends and Patrons membership schemes, volunteering opportunities, corporate sponsorship and corporate membership schemes, venue hire services
- To conduct general research and analysis on our supporters to help us to improve our products, services and communications
- To conduct specific research and analysis to identify potential future supporters
- To publish lists of our supporters (you can request for your support to remain anonymous at any time)
Sharing your data with third parties
We will not sell your personal information to any third parties or external organisations.
Where necessary for the purposes outlined under Section 2 How we use your data, we may share your personal data with third party organisations acting as agents or data processors on our behalf. Your data will only be shared where there are clear agreements or understandings in place to ensure that they will only process your data according to our instructions. They will never be entitled to use your data for their own purposes.
Where necessary for the purposes outlined under Section 2 How we use your data, we may share your personal data with third party service providers who assist us in organising and managing our fundraising campaigns, identifying potential supporters and assessing ethical/reputational risks. Your data will only be shared where there are clear agreements or understandings in place to ensure that they will only process your data according to our instructions. They will never be entitled to use your data for their own purposes.
Keeping your data up to date
We are committed to keeping your data up to date so that we can provide you with relevant and timely services and information. Please help us by providing changes to your contact or other details:
- By telephone or email: View our Contact Us page
- By post: Development Team, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 0RN
From time to time, we may contact you to determine if our details are up to date and to ascertain your current interests and preferences.
You have a right to ask us to stop processing your personal data in cases where we are relying on our legitimate interests, and if it’s not necessary for the purpose you provided it to us for (e.g. processing your donation or registering you for an event) we will do so.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent in cases where you have provided this.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We review this Privacy Notice on a regular basis and make appropriate amendments. This site will carry the most up to date Privacy and its date of publication for reference.
We endeavour to ensure that all information provided on our website, in our eNewsletters and advertised in our Gallery and other public spaces is up to date and relevant. Where we provide you with links to other third party websites and information, please be aware that we cannot guarantee the quality of the third party’s information or their own commitment to protection of your personal data. Please always exercise caution and review their own privacy notices before sharing your personal data.
The Courtauld’s approach to data protection
- Sensitive Data
- Your data protection rights
- International Transfers
- Data Security
- Data Retention
- How to contact our DPO
- How to complain
Privacy Notice for Supporters and Potential Supporters, date last updated: 25 November, 2021.
See also The Courtauld’s