Applications now open!
Monday 1 July – Friday 5 July 2019
Spend five days experiencing student life at a world-class university specialising in Art History, Conservation, and Curating.
The Summer University is part of The Courtauld Institute of Art’s widening participation initiative, funded by a charitable trust to give students who attend a non-selective state school or a FE college the opportunity to find out more about Art History and the possibilities of studying the subject at degree level.
We are excited to announce that by completing Summer University 2019, you will have a chance to work towards an ASDAN universities award.
Applications now open!
To apply for Summer University 2019 you must:
- Be a current Year 12, AS Level student
- Attend a non-selective UK state school
- Have a broad interest in visual culture
- Be interested in subjects such as History, English Literature, Art, Classics, Languages and Politics (or other subjects that involve essay writing, research and presentations)
- Be considering applying to Higher Education Institutions in Year 13
Please note: you are not applying for a place at university at this point. This course will give you an experience of university life and help you make a decision about applying to study Art History or another Humanities subject in future.
The Summer University is part of The Courtauld’s widening participation initiative, funded by a charitable trust to give students who attend a non-selective state school or a FE college the opportunity to study art history. Priority will be given to students whose parents or carers have not previously gone to university, who currently receive Income Support or Tax Credits, and/or are disabled. Students who are currently in Year 12 and meet this widening participation criteria can apply by returning the application form.
As this is a non-residential course (where students commute every day to The Courtauld Institute), we cannot currently offer places on this course to students living outside Greater London.
The course covers an introduction to art history and runs from Monday 1 – Friday 5 July, from approximately 10.00am until 4.00pm each day.
This course is designed to give you:
- a better understanding of Art History as a subject, through lectures, seminar discussions and group work;
- the opportunity to meet tutors, museum professionals and current undergraduate students;
- an experience of university life, with the opportunity to find out about both London and The Courtauld first hand;
- space to think about whether this might be the right option for you;
- the confidence and support to apply to The Courtauld Institute of Art for your BA should you wish to do so.
Students who participate will be eligible to attend a series of Study Skills Workshops at The Courtauld during Autumn Term 2019.
Watch this video to hear what three students have to say about their experience of attending The Courtauld’s Art History Summer University:
The course is non-residential, but you will receive complimentary refreshments and lunch every day, free entrance to a number of galleries and exhibitions, social activities and basic materials.
An Oyster Card for travel within London can be provided on application for students from families on income support or receiving tax credits.
To apply please complete the Summer University 2019 Application Form.
The deadline for applications is Friday 24 May 2019.
Please post your completed application form to the address below or email it to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org in Word or PDF format.
Oak Foundation Young People’s Programme Coordinator
The Courtauld Institute of Art
Somerset House, Strand
London, WC2R 0RN
+44 (0) 20 3947 7589