Museums in a Post-Truth World
Thursday 16 March 2017
PLEASE NOTE: This Date Has Passed
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 0RN
- Dr Caroline Campbell - Jacob Rothschild Head of the Curatorial Department, National Gallery
- Dr Nick Merriman - Director, Manchester Museum, University of Manchester
- Dr Zoe Whitley - Curator, International Art, Tate Modern
- Prof. Joanna Woodall - Professor in the History of Art, Courtauld Institute of Art (Moderator)
- Martin Caiger-Smith and MA Curating students
In today’s heated post-truth political climate, objective facts have become less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.
How should museums react, as places of respite or centres for debate? Should museums take on activist roles in contemporary society, or should they remain neutral? In what ways might they be uniquely positioned to contribute to discussions about authority, expertise and truth?