The Courtauld’s own recently refurbished residence is located about 50 metres from Somerset House, on the corner of the Strand and Lancaster Place.
Not many universities will offer you the chance to live on The Strand, nor so in a building dating from 1897. Duchy House was converted only in 2010 for exclusive use of Courtauld students.
The location is an ideal way to immerse yourself as a Central London student, you could not be any nearer to the Institute, with it taking less than two minutes walk to the front door! Duchy offers instant access to the attractions of Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Oxford Street, West End Theatres and being just off Waterloo Bridge you have instant access to the Southbank. Cinemas, clubs, music venues are all very close by. Galleries, (of course!) are in close vicinity to Duchy House, with The National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery just down the Strand, Tate Modern on the South Bank and naturally The Courtauld Gallery.
The accommodation offers 64 single rooms across four floors. Its proximity both to the Institute and many of London’s finest museums, galleries, libraries and major attractions makes Duchy House an ideal place to live during your time at The Courtauld.
The property features:
- 47 en suite rooms and 17 rooms with shared facilities furnished with a bed, study desk, wardrobe, bookshelf, lamps and notice board. Larger rooms may also include a chest of drawers
- Free wired Internet access in each room
- A communal kitchen on each floor with a gas cooker, microwave and refrigerator. Each study room is also supplied with a mini fridge
- A common room on the first through third floors
- Coin operated laundry facilities
- Cleaning service in common areas. Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Vacuum cleaners are supplied on each floor
- Swipe card access to the building and each hallway with 24-hour CCTV surveillance monitored by Courtauld Security
Fees for the 2015/2016 academic year ranged from £177-£252 per week.
Fees are based upon a weekly amount which is inclusive of room and utilities (water, gas, electricity). Leases run for 41 weeks, typically beginning in the third week of September prior to enrolment. Opportunities to extend leases into the summer months may be possible but are subject to availability.
Summer accommodation is available to the general public between July and September. Find out more and book.
Remedial works are being carried out to the façade of Duchy House. This work involves repairs to stone detailing, brickwork, lead flashing, roof slates and redecoration of the windows externally. To facilitate these works, scaffolding has been erected to the buildings’ façade. The Courtauld is working closely with the Landlord’s Managing Agent’s handling the works to ensure there is minimum disruption to our students who will be allocated accommodation at Duchy House for 2016/2017. It is anticipated that these works will be completed late 2016. In addition to these works, an adjacent building on the Strand is being refurbished and that project is also due to complete late 2016.
Please note that as the rooms in Duchy House are being used by our students we are unable to give tours of the building.