The print holdings of the Library are estimated at some 200,000 titles, of which over 128,000 have accessible online catalogue records. The book stock comprises books, exhibition catalogues, theses and dissertations, rare books and pamphlets. The majority of the book stock is located at Vernon Square however oversize and CABS (special collections) books remain at Somerset House.
The Book Library provides access (for Courtauld staff and students) to thousands of e-book titles within the visual arts, design, cultural studies, and humanities disciplines.
Most of the stock is on open access to readers, including a collection of some 60,000 exhibition catalogues representing exhibitions on a broad range of topics from museums and galleries throughout Europe, North America, Australasia, and other parts of the world. Rare books, pamphlets, theses and dissertations are collected from the Closed Access Book Store (CABS) at regular intervals throughout the day. Please note that until early February, all CABS items are inaccessible. This is due to the Library’s physical space at Somerset House being reconfigured in preparation for building works.
E-books are accessible off campus using your Athens username and password.
- A&AePortal (Yale)
- DawsonEra Ebooks
- Ebook Central (Proquest)
- e-Duke Books Scholarly Collection
- JISC Historic Texts (JISC eCollections) Contains EEBO (Early English Books Online), ECCO (Eighteenth Century Collections Online) and BL 19th Century (19th Century British Library Newspapers).
There are a wide variety of freely available e-book collections online. Below are some collections that may be of relevance to Courtauld staff and students at The Courtauld.
- The British Museum Research Publications Online Some publications such as the Chronology of Temporary Exhibitions at the British Museum are freely accessible online.
- Getty Publications Virtual Library Over 250 backlist titles from Getty Publications.
- The Getty Research Portal An aggregator of digitized art history primary sources.
- The Guggenheim ‘From the Archives’ exhibition catalogues
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Publications with Full-text Online
- OAPEN Library
- Open Access eBooks on JSTOR
- The Royal Academy of Arts Winter Exhibition Catalogues 1870 – 1939
- Tate Research Publications Online
- University of California Press E-book Collection 1982-2004