Dr. Jasmine Chohan is an Associate Lecturer at the Courtauld Institute of Art, London, having also completed her PhD there. Although her PhD focused on the Havana Biennial with an emphasis on Cuban contemporary art, her specialisations span across global biennials, contemporary Asian art, and contemporary British diaspora art. While studying her PhD, Jasmine spent time studying at the Universidad de la Habana, Cuba and simultaneously worked on the 12th Havana Biennial. More recently, Jasmine has been working for the Tate Gallery in London as an Assitant Curator in the schools and teachers department. Jasmine has also been focusing on arts education more widely, concentrating on diversity and inclusion. She has been collaborating with groups such as the 1989 Collective and the Brilliant Club’s Scholars Programme to reach out to secondary schools in outer London boroughs to ensure the dissemination of British diaspora art to the next generation.
- BA Art History- Courtauld Institute of Art
- MA Art History- Aestheticising Politics: The Globalisation of Contemporary Art, Professor Julian Stallabrass- Merit Thesis: The Havana Biennial: Changing Agendas- Distinction/Publication
- PhD- La Bienal de la Habana: The Rise of the Collaterals
- Contemporary art history
- Latin American art history
- Post- Colonial discourse
- Cuban art history
- British Diasporic Art
- Asian Art History
- The Havana Biennial: Changing Agendas
- An examination of how the works of Teresa Margolles explore the informal economy of Mexico and to what extent her work can be seen as a form of ‘Mexicanidad’.
- David Lévy & Associés: Modern Art: Selected Works 1883- 1963, On occasion of TEFAF Maastricht 2014, Paperland, Belgium, 2014.
- Consuelo Castañeda Castellanos at the Galería Origenes (Cubartours)
- Glexis Novoa- Las Cosas Como Son- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Cubartours)
- Wifredo Lam at the Tate Modern (Cubartours)
- Adonis Ferro: Des-Concierto 13: Ruido en el corazón de mi madre [accompanying text for exhibition]
- Glexis Novoa Vian: Formas del Tiempo (The Condition of Time) [accompanying text for exhibition]
- Art and Migration: A conversation in Constant Flux, Arts Cabinet, 2022.
- Revising the Relational in the 12th Havana Biennial, Modern and Contemporary Second Year Courtauld Symposium, Courtauld Institute of Art, 2017.
- La Bienal de la Habana: From Internationalist to Globalised, Modern and Contemporary Annual Colloquium, Courtauld Institute of Art, 2018.
- La Bienal de la Habana: From Internationalist to Globalised, LASA Annual Conference, Barcelona, 2018.
- The “Utopian Biennial”, Cuban Research Forum, University of Nottingham, 2018.
Other academic activity
- Producer at the 12th Havana Biennial.
- Founding member of 1989 collective.
- Researcher of Panchayat Collection.
- Assitant Curator of Schools and Teachers at the Tate Modern and Britain.