Dr Catherine HoweAssociate Lecturer
PhD ‘Francis Bacon’s French Influence(s): From Surrealism to Post-structuralism’, Courtauld Institute of Art, 2018. Supervised by Dr Gavin Parkinson. Examined by Professor Neil Cox and Professor Patrick ffrench.
Funded by CHASE/AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership and a Courtauld Scholarship from The Guilford Foundation and Edmond J. Safra Philanthropic Foundation.
MA (Distinction) in History of Art, Courtauld Institute of Art, 2014. Fully funded by the AHRC
First Class BA Honours (European) in English and History of Art, University of Leeds, 2012
Winner of the Kenneth Hargreaves Prize for Best Undergraduate Dissertation in the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies, University of Leeds, 2012
Università degli Studi di Torino, 2010-2011 (Erasmus Programme)
- ‘Beautiful Bodies’, ‘Figures in a Landscape 1956-7′ and ‘Seated Figure 1961′ in Clare Barlow (ed.), Queer British Art: 1861-1967, London, Tate: 2017, pp. 159-163, 164 and 165.
- ‘Bacon, Leiris: The Impossibility of Presence’ in Martin Harrison (ed.), Francis Bacon: France and Monaco, Paris: Albin Michel, 2016, pp. 135-149.
- ‘Francis Bacon’s Dominant Figure: Recent Theoretical and Archival Grapples’, Art History, Volume 38, Issue 3, June 2015, pp. 587-593.
Consultant/Catalogue Raisonné Research, Roy Lichtenstein Foundation
Curatorial Placement, Tate Britain, ‘Queer British Art 1861-1967’, Supported by CHASE/AHRC, July – October 2016
Editorial Board Member, immediations, Volume 4, Number 1, 2016
Designer, immediations, Volume 4, Number 1, 2016
Frieze Masters Internship, Helly Nahmad London, ‘Jean Dubuffet: The Asylum’, October 2015
- Francis Bacon
- Tel Quel
- Gilles Deleuze
- Michel Leiris
- Georges Bataille
- Queer Theory
- Post-war art
- Modern art
Associate Lecturer, MA Modernism After Postmodernism: Modern Art and its Interpretation, Autumn 2018
Teaching Assistant, BA2 Lessons in Interpretation, Spring Term 2016
Teaching Assistant, MA Core Methodologies, Autumn Term 2016 and 2017
Conferences and Lectures
- ‘Bacon/Picasso: The Brutality of Fact’, Third Year Postgraduate Symposium, Courtauld Institute of Art, 8th June 2017
- ‘Representing the Self ‘en procès’: Viewing Francis Bacon’s Van Gogh through Georges Bataille and Antonin Artaud’, Aggression, Transgression and the Avant-garde Conference, University of Edinburgh, 6th June 2017
- ‘Francis Bacon: The Anxiety of Influence’, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, 30th March 2017
- ‘Bodily Fantasies: Framing Francis Bacon’s Late Paintings and their French Reception’, Tate Liverpool, 17th June 2016
- ‘Francis Bacon and Michel Leiris: Illusions of Manhood’, Modern and Contemporary Second Year Symposium, Courtauld Institute of Art, 20th May 2016