17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers (Gale Cengage Learning)
Access: Accessible off-campus using Athens username and password.
The Burney Collection includes:
- Parliamentary papers from 1603;
- Newspapers from the early 1620s;
- 18th-century London newspapers, including all major titles, such as the Daily Courant (1702 to 1735) and the London Gazette from 1665;
- Periodicals, such as Addison and Steele’s Tatler (1709-1711) and their Spectator (1711-1712);
- English provincial titles from 1712, such as the Stamford Mercury of 1728;
- Irish newspapers, the earliest being the Dublin Intelligence of 1691;
- Scottish newspapers from 1708 onwards;
- Many 18th-century American newspapers, including the New England Courant (1721-1723).