17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers (Gale Cengage Learning)
Access: Accessible on campus through networked computer, no username/password required. Accessible off campus using Athens username and password.
The Burney collection includes:
- parliamentary papers from 1603,
- newspapers from the early 1620s,
- 18th-century London newspapers, including all major titles, such as the Daily Courant (1702 to 1735) and the London Gazette from 1665,
- periodicals, such as Addison and Steele's Tatler (1709-1711) and their Spectator (1711-1712),
- English provincial titles from 1712, such as the Stamford Mercury of 1728,
- Irish newspapers, the earliest being the Dublin Intelligence of 1691,
- Scottish newspapers from 1708 onwards,
- and many 18th-century American newspapers, including the New England Courant (1721-1723).
For further information, visit this BL page.